Our History | Independent Prep School | Avon House School
Avon House School
Share

Our History

There is evidence from a Board of Education report regarding a school in Snakes Lane Woodford Green as far back as 1937. The school, Essex House, was moved to the site on Woodford High Road in 1955 and educated girls and boys from 2 to 11 years.  Avon House Preparatory School was founded on the current site in 1965 having initially been Essex House Preparatory School with the age range of children increasing from 3 to 13 years.

In 1970 the school was purchased by Mrs Sheila Ferrari by from its previous owner and, over time, the school has grown and advanced into an educational centre providing an outstanding private education for pupils of all abilities.

Today, Avon House Preparatory School consists of several buildings spread around the site including The Daniels Building which boasts our themed library – a space that pupils love to use to enjoy words and literature.  The original part of the school (490 High Road) is an old listed building dating back to 1687 which incorporates classrooms, out of hours care facilities and the school kitchen.  Also visible from the road is 492 High Road which the school acquired in 2003 and houses a music studio, music practice rooms and school administration facilities.

The Pre-Prep Department building, now known as The Ferrari Building in the centre of the school site, is home to our Pre-Prep and nursery. In 1979 a school hall was added to the site and later, in 2008, two classrooms were added above the hall. In the summer of 2025 the school renovated what had been the original school hall into a STEAM centre known by the children as ‘The Hub’ which includes space for cookery, science, art, design technology and computing. Beyond the rear school gate is a bespoke outdoor learning area which also has space for a mini allotment.

 

 

Avon House Swan Logo on the side of an external wall
Closure of Avon House Preparatory School

It is with much sadness that we are announcing the closure of the school with immediate effect. Avon House was founded over a hundred years ago under the name Essex House and then in the early 1950’s was renamed Avon House School. The vision for the current school was that of Sheila Ferrari who bought the school in 1970, providing a family school for pupils from 3-11 years old.

We have explored a number of options to try and save the school from closure but in recent days it became obvious that was not meant to be. The school has struggled with financial pressures including the introduction of VAT on school fees and the rise in NI and pension costs.

We have always put our pupils at the heart of school life both academically and pastorally under the banner of ‘Celebrating and supporting every child’ and we know that many pupils who have journeyed through our school have gone on to great success.

We wish all our pupils and families the best for the future as they embrace new schools in the locality.